Swing dancing is picking up again after the pandemic. Some places like Joe’s Bar are yet to re-open, but some new venues have blossomed.
So, we are still fortunate to have so many great places to swing dance in Los Angeles and Orange County. Here are my picks for the most consistent dance venues, where you’ll be able to find the most partners, the best floors, and the best music.
Venues with Tons of Dancers of All Skill Levels – Good for Beginners
These venues have plenty of dancers of all skill levels waiting to dance with you. No need for a partner, just show up alone! Most of these offer lessons before the dance as well. They’ll be folks waiting to dance with you!
- Lindygroove happens on Thursday nights in Pasadena; it’s the biggest weekly swing dance event in California. If I only could recommend one place to go swing dancing, it would be here.
- The Pasadena Ballroom Dance Association (PBDA) is another huge weekly event, with swing dancing on Saturdays with dancers of all skill levels and age groups.
- Rusty’s Rhythm Club is the sole monthly swing dance venue on the Westside, featuring lots of dancers of all skill levels and ages. It happens every Wednesday, except for the week of the first Friday when the dance is moved to Friday.
- Atomic Ballroom in Irvine has tons of people to dance with on their Swing nights.
- Old Towne Swing at the Woman’s Club in Orange County has a friendly crowd and happens on most Wednesday nights.
- The Mayflower Club is a post-pandemic venue featuring many Swing dance events throughout the month with various promoters. Check the Lindy Calendar for the dates.
Venues with the Most Advanced Dancers
If you’re an advanced dancer, check out these joints, where you’ll find folks doing Lindy Hop, Balboa, and Shag. There are no lessons at these events.
- Swingtronic at the Airliner in the Lincoln Park area northeast of Chinatown features gypsy Jazz and New Orleans Jazz bands on the first Saturday of the month.
Venues with Nightclub Atmosphere
These venues will have a lot of beginners along with a core group of veteran dancers in an elegant nightclub atmosphere. These are real bars serving alcohol and food. Please buy a drink to support swing dancing at the establishments!!!!!! These are 21 and over only.
- Clifton’s is an amazing restaurant and bar with swing dancing in the Brookdale Ballroom on Friday and Saturday nights. Mostly younger folks in their 20’s and 30’s.
- Swingtronic (see above) has a vintage nightclub atmosphere.
- The Edison is another amazing bar by the folks who brought you Clifton’s. This is steampunk heaven, with occasional swing bands once a month.
Formal Dinner and Dancing (BYOP)
- The Cicada Club is an amazing vintage restaurant that will transport you back to the 1930s. It’s pricey, and you should bring your own partner, but the atmosphere is unparalleled. Note, there is a dress code, so you have to dress vintage or at least upscale.
These are only the weekly and monthly recurring swing dance events. There are many more swing dance events to choose from in a given week! Check the Lindy Calendar.
Questions? Comments? Leave your thoughts below! – Brian